Effective tutors meet a learner at their point of need, so while good tutoring is individualized there are some general tips we can share:
- Don’t try to do it all: Pick the most important areas of need and work on those. Sight words and comprehension or vocabulary and fluency, for example.
- Give it time: Reading is a complex process. Tutoring helps but takes time.
- Have some fun: Try to keep tutoring engaging and when possible, fun. Take breaks from the routine and do a fun activity from time to time.
- Ask for help: Teachers and educators can help. Reach out when you have questions.
Do’s & Don'ts of Reading Help
Whether for academic reading or recreational reading, here are suggestions to help students who struggle with reading.
Homework Help Tips
Before you begin:
Make sure the learners know and understand the directions
- Ask if they understand the directions. If they say yes, move on.
- If they say no, ask them to read the directions to you and clarify any confusing points
- Ask if the learners have seen work like this before
- If yes, ask them to explain the context of the previous work
- Ask them to tell you what is similar and what is different
- Try to determine what is throwing them off
ALWAYS TRY TO ACTIVATE PRIOR KNOWLEDGE!
When learners are ready to try a homework question, always have them read you the text. Be patient. If they’re really struggling, help them read the problem and then ask them what the key points are.
When working with older learners, you may want them to restate the question in their own words rather than asking them to read the questions aloud.
- Break the problems down together!
- Provide concrete, real-life examples they can relate to
- After the problem is understood either independently or with your help ask how the student plans to solve it
- Provide guidance, not answers
- To reach the correct answer, guide the student with questions and insights
As a last resort:
-If the student is completely lost, model a problem or two for them and guide them through a third so they can follow your example.
|BEAUTIFUL WORK||GREAT||I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT||NOTHING CAN STOP YOU NOW||PHENOMENAL||TERRIFIC||YOU'RE ON TARGET||YOU'RE FANTASTIC|
|BRAVO||GOOD||I'M PROUD OF YOU||NOW YOU'VE GOT IT||REMARKABLE JOB||WHAT AN IMAGINATION||YOU'RE ON YOUR WAY||YOU'RE INCREDIBLE|
|EXCELLENT||HURRAY FOR YOU||MARVELOUS||NEAT||SUPER||WOW||YOU FIGURED IT OUT||YOU'RE CATCHING ON|
|FANTASTIC JOB||HOW NICE||MAGNIFICENT||NICE WORK||SPECTACULAR||WAY TO GO||YOU LEARNED IT RIGHT||YOU'RE ON TOP OF IT|
|GOOD JOB||HOW SMART||NOW YOU'RE FLYING||OUTSTANDING||THAT'S INCREDIBLE||WELL DONE||YOU TRIED HARD||YOU'RE SPECIAL|
ALWAYS CONGRATULATE A STUDENT’S GOOD EFFORTS!